***New Members Reminder*** ×

Terrifying podcast: The Shrink Next Door

48 minutes ago, disequilibrium1 said:

It seems an East Coast variation of singer Brian Wilson’s experience.

Don't know that?

The production of it reminds me of a This American Life. I'm on the last one available. Darn. Gonna have to wait! 

The comment about how ethical standards in the 1980's weren't what they are today really hit home -- since I first tried therapy in the 80's. The first two had no informed consent form at all; the third had something that only covered fees, lengths of appointments, and policies on cancelling appointments. I guess it might have been possible to encounter things even worse than I did encounter. It really was caveat emptor back then. (But I can't really say what it's like now, since I haven't tried therapy in a dozen or so years.)

3 hours ago, Mary S said:

The comment about how ethical standards in the 1980's weren't what they are today really hit home 

i'm thinking the same thing.  it reminds me of a conversation that ex-T was sharing with hubby and me about his supervisor (now his ex-super, but was his super all the years i was seeing ex-T). ex-T's super was from that 80's psychoT generation and shared that back in those days no one even batted an eye that the Ts were sleeping with the clients...my interpretation from that entire conversation we had was, yes, ex-Ts super was sleeping with some of his clients back then... 😯 

now off to listen to the forth episode...

Just read the new episode. Herschkopf  is such a psychopath! He really took advantage of Markowitz's vulnerability to being "led". He has no sense of shame, let alone consideration.

Reminds me of the time I  told my second worst therapist that I felt ashamed about something. She said she didn't know what I meant by shame. I tried to explain (but how do you explain what an emotion is?!?), and she leaned back, tossed her hands in the air, laughed, and said, "I have no idea what you're talking about!"

"Therapy" so often made so little sense; I often couldn't figure out how what the therapists did was supposed to help me. It was bizarre; surreal at times. I'm amazed that I survived with at least some sense left.

A fifth episode, which explains Marty's last straw, was posted Tuesday and the last in the series will be posted this coming Tuesday. I've watched the internet for consumer and professional discussions and have found nothing so far, save my own forum post. I shake my head that this hasn't prodded professionals to any conversation, at least that I could find in a search.

Thanks for the NY Post link. A quote from the second-to-last line of the link really resonates with me: "“He was all about power and greed."

My worst therapist seemed to be "all about power and control." That was bad enough, really hard to get past. It seems fair to call her a psychological predator, but Herschkopf is an even greater predator -- financially as well as psychologically.