***New Members Reminder*** ×

Complete This Sentence Game: Therapists are...

Eve B

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sandpiper Crossing said:

Therapists are people who weren't creative enough to be novelists or screenwriters and chose to meddle in their clients' lives instead. 

I'd alter this a bit to say, "Therapists aren't creative enough to make a living as novelists, screenwriters, or artists, so instead they try to satisfy their yen to be creative by treating clients as object to "mold". (Quote from my worst therapist: : "What you need is something like a mold that a brick is made in, and when the mold is removed, the brick retains the shape of the mold". (I've probably said this before, but that sounds really pathological to me.)

4 hours ago, Sandpiper Crossing said:

Therapists are people who weren't creative enough to be novelists or screenwriters and chose to meddle in their clients' lives instead. 

This is going to sound really bad, but some therapists are also people who weren't smart enough to be MD's, lawyers, or any other high-paying prestigious profession. So, they got into counseling to feel an easy sense of power and importance.  (I am half-joking here). 

Therapists are... not real doctors. 

It's true that psychiatry is the least respected career path among medical students. 

"I once met a medical student who had failed his first year exams. 'It’s ok,' he said, as I tried to console him. 'I know I’m not very bright, but I can always be a psychiatrist after medical school.'"  - https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2010/06/28/anna-mead-robson-psychiatry-–-a-specialty-for-failures/

1 hour ago, HelloUniverse000 said:

This is going to sound really bad, but some therapists are also people who weren't smart enough to be MD's, lawyers, or any other high-paying prestigious profession. So, they got into counseling to feel an easy sense of power and importance.  (I am half-joking here). 

That's probably fairly accurate though.

2 hours ago, Mary S said:

I'd alter this a bit to say, "Therapists aren't creative enough to make a living as novelists, screenwriters, or artists, so instead they try to satisfy their yen to be creative by treating clients as object to "mold". (Quote from my worst therapist: : "What you need is something like a mold that a brick is made in, and when the mold is removed, the brick retains the shape of the mold". (I've probably said this before, but that sounds really pathological to me.)

I used to read books written by therapists about their case studies. I remember examples where the author sounded so certain about patient A making a huge mistake by not going back to her ex husband, like an all -knowing narrator. Psychologists only know the other people in their patient's life from what they've been told but some of them act like they know much more and know what everyone should do. They also like to predict other people's future and call it prognosis. When I quit my therapist, she gave me this bleak prognosis. I don't know if she really believed she had this all-knowing insight.

Edited by Sandpiper Crossing

16 minutes ago, Eve B said:

It's true that psychiatry is the least respected career path among medical students. 

"I once met a medical student who had failed his first year exams. 'It’s ok,' he said, as I tried to console him. 'I know I’m not very bright, but I can always be a psychiatrist after medical school.'"  - https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2010/06/28/anna-mead-robson-psychiatry-–-a-specialty-for-failures/

Wow....

3 hours ago, Hurt By Therapy said:

That's probably fairly accurate though.

I thought about making a topic on thoughts on therapists' intelligence. Personally, I don't see them as being smarter as a whole than the everyday person.  There are clients who are smarter than their therapist. 

Edited by HelloUniverse000

3 hours ago, Eve B said:

The first couple of therapists I tried were psychologists. Neither one seemed very good (understatement), so I tried a  psychiatrist, thinking that psychiatrists would have had to have  a stronger scientific background than a psychologist. Was i disappointed! She seemed as arbitrary and capricious as the psychologists had been. Some years later, I read a book on psychiatrists (I forget the title) , saying that many of the med students who go into psychiatry are at the bottom of their class, and only chose psychiatry because they weren't accepted into other specializations.

Edited by Mary S

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 8:07 PM, Sandpiper Crossing said:

I used to read books written by therapists about their case studies. I remember examples where the author sounded so certain about patient A making a huge mistake by not going back to her ex husband, like an all -knowing narrator. Psychologists only know the other people in their patient's life from what they've been told but some of them act like they know much more and know what everyone should do. They also like to predict other people's future and call it prognosis. When I quit my therapist, she gave me this bleak prognosis. I don't know if she really believed she had this all-knowing insight.

Reminds me of the therapist who said (when I said I was quitting): "You'll never get better if you keep seeking the perfect therapist."