***New Members Reminder*** ×

New member here

Guest Wounded Soul 74

Welcome to the forum, echo, and thanks for sharing your voice here among us! :)

I don't think any of us choose to be broken or want to stay broken, but we can still choose to do something or nothing about it. Doing something doesn't mean that life will get better, and doing nothing doesn't mean it will get worse, either. Picking up those pieces and learning how to cope again takes time and a lot of good support. Therapists make their living trying to sell that kind of support yet often leave their clients emotionally worse off.  😕

Echo, welcome. In my efforts to erase as much therapy-think as possible, I want to erase the concept of broken. Life certainly has left me overwhelmed many times. I've gotten many tough breaks beyond my control and likely much punishment that's self-inflicted. Yet I try not to view spirit or emotions in the same channel as say, a broken bone. I weary of words that leave me feeling that I need some external authority to fix me again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thistle, welcome. I expect you'll find it much easier to talk about harmful therapy here than Psych Central. As I talked about there as Missbella, to look at the worst of my therapy, I had to take all my therapists off their pedestals and unravel some basic assumptions I had about them and therapy and general. It's been tough, but likely a more useful journey to me than my taking everything in therapy at face value.

welcome echo and thistle 🙂

8 hours ago, thistle said:

I'm new as well, a bit of a refugee  from Psych Central, although I'm holding my own there. 

you will definilty find that this forum is absolutely more tolerant, understanding and accepting of those who are starting to question or have doubts about their therapy/therapist. i found it both supportive and helpful to read and share here when i was starting to contemplate leaving my therapist a few years ago.   

• 1 month later...

Hi there and thanks for the add. :) I'm in psychotherapy from 2015 on and I'm not sure I get any real help from it, so I searched the web for other opinions and found this forum. There is not a lot of reads to find about the topic. Did you already discuss why that is so? I sometimes feel somehow abused, because I pay a lot of money for the therapy and I'm not sure what I'm getting out of it. My therapist makes the impression that I'm making progress, but that I just don't understand it yet ... My issues are depression and a mild schizoid personality, that is actually getting worse over the course of therapy ... I'm from Europe and English is my third language, so  I apologize in advance for all the mistakes I'm going to make. I also kindly ask for instructions, whether I have to pay special attention to something so to not to break any the rules of this forum. I finally feel that I found a place where I can speak openly about my concerns.

Welcome, 394Cameron. It sure sounds like you're not getting your money's worth in therapy. From your statement, "My therapist makes the impression that I'm making progress, but that I just don't understand it yet ... " , it sounds (to me, at least) like your therapist is one of those overly optimistic people who always believes that a breakthrough is right around the corner. My view is that if the therapist believes you are making progress, he or she should be able to point to specific examples of how you are making progress. (Unfortunately, there seem to be some therapists who have some kind of magical belief in their intuition or powers.)

I hope you have some time to browse around this forum, and that hearing other people's experiences will be helpful to you -- if in no other way than to know that you are not the only one who has had ineffective (or even harmful) therapy. One thing in particular you might want to look at is the "Monster List" of references about poor therapy. And, of course, feel free to describe your therapy experiences if you think that would be helpful to you.

11 hours ago, 394cameron said:

Hi there and thanks for the add. :) I'm in psychotherapy from 2015 on and I'm not sure I get any real help from it, so I searched the web for other opinions and found this forum. There is not a lot of reads to find about the topic. Did you already discuss why that is so? I sometimes feel somehow abused, because I pay a lot of money for the therapy and I'm not sure what I'm getting out of it. My therapist makes the impression that I'm making progress, but that I just don't understand it yet ... My issues are depression and a mild schizoid personality, that is actually getting worse over the course of therapy ... I'm from Europe and English is my third language, so  I apologize in advance for all the mistakes I'm going to make. I also kindly ask for instructions, whether I have to pay special attention to something so to not to break any the rules of this forum. I finally feel that I found a place where I can speak openly about my concerns.

Nice to have you here, 394cameron! That's cool you know 3 languages! What are the other two, if you don't mind telling us?

I encourage you to ask any questions you may have and read what others have already shared on this forum. Have you asked your therapist why he/she seems to think you're making progress when you don't feel so sure? If you don't believe you're being heard, then it's probably better to discontinue with the therapy than waste more of your time and money. 

394cameron, welcome. I think many or all of here find it challenging to sort our own conclusions from therapists what told us. I found it a revelation that an "authority figure" doesn't always know best, and the therapist wasn't an authority at anything at all.

I never would have guess you weren't an English speaker--your English is that proficient. Americans who are fluent in even a second language are in the minority.  But please for clarification if something doesn't make sense. My typographical errors don't ease the situation.

Edited by disequilibrium1