***New Members Reminder*** ×

New here

Hi, I'm a new member. I've had bad experiences with therapy as well. As a result I guess I have thought more about authoritarian systems and issues in the helping industry than I might have otherwise. 

It's odd that going to therapy is so common but there's so little literature or investigation of harm in therapy. It's treated like an ideology. 

7 hours ago, Sandpiper Crossing said:

It's odd that going to therapy is so common but there's so little literature or investigation of harm in therapy. It's treated like an ideology. 

Welcome, Sandpiper! I think therapy harm is deliberately hushed to better convince people of the supposed benefits. The profession doesn't deny that therapy can cause harm, but they don't want it to be too noticeable either. Kind of like the small fine print of harmful side effects with prescription meds. 

The research on harmful side-effects is 20 years old and very sparse from what I've seen. The problem with therapists it  seems is that they have an ideological calling to their profession. They want to see themselves as good people who know 'what's good for others'. This belief that seems to be ingrained in the helping professions suppresses any threatening scientific evaluation of how effective their helping is. There are many non-evidence based modalities that are built around the needs of the helper. 

I had cbt therapy but became aware of the issue with bogus modalities once I started looking up other models. 

Sandpiper Crossing, welcome. I agree with you completely; I find scant literature about therapy's harm, and almost none of it parallels my experience. Their so-called "ethics" discussions seem most concerned with avoiding improper appearances and defenses against being sued. The consumer is left on his/her own to figure it out. This is so hypocritical for the profession advertising honesty, self-examination and deep meaning. We have been pooling our own observations and thoughts here;look forward to yours.

On 5/24/2021 at 6:12 AM, disequilibrium1 said:

Sandpiper Crossing, welcome. I agree with you completely; I find scant literature about therapy's harm, and almost none of it parallels my experience. Their so-called "ethics" discussions seem most concerned with avoiding improper appearances and defenses against being sued. The consumer is left on his/her own to figure it out. This is so hypocritical for the profession advertising honesty, self-examination and deep meaning. We have been pooling our own observations and thoughts here;look forward to yours.

Thank you! I felt like I had to dig into medical journals to find anything. It is bizarre. When I first started looking into negative side-effects, all I found were newspaper articles that quoted therapists on the issue. Negative side- effects were described as the patient becoming too self-confident and leaving their abusive partner which is obviously nothing but advertisement for therapy concealed as 'self -criticism'. 

7 minutes ago, Sandpiper Crossing said:

Thank you! I felt like I had to dig into medical journals to find anything. It is bizarre. When I first started looking into negative side-effects, all I found were newspaper articles that quoted therapists on the issue. Negative side- effects were described as the patient becoming too self-confident and leaving their abusive partner which is obviously nothing but advertisement for therapy concealed as 'self -criticism'. 

Exactly, the hurt and damage they, the therapists, cause is excused and very deeply buried.